Police and ambulances rushed to a shooting at a food festival in California on Sunday, with three people reported dead and several injured, and video posted on social media showing people on occasion running for protection as shots rang out.
A local city councilman, Dion Bracco, informed The New York Times three folks had been killed and 12 injured in the shooting on the final day of the Gilroy Garlic Festival, an annual three-day occasion south of San Jose. He did not know if the 12 wounded included the three fatalities, the newspaper said.
One suspect was in custody, Bracco stated.
“They don’t know if there have been extra so that they must deal with it as a current situation,” he informed the newspaper. “We’ve got police out here from as far away as San Jose.”
NBC Bay Area had informed that ambulance crews had been told 11 people were “down” after the shooting.
Local hospital officers didn’t instantly reply to requests for remark. Aerial footage confirmed the festival grounds deserted but with many police and emergency vehicles on surrounding streets and police in bullet-proof gear.
Be careful and safe!” President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter.
Videos uploaded to social media seemed to show festival attendees scattering in worry and confusion as loud popping sounds might be heard within the background.
“What’s going on?” a woman’s voice can be heard asking on one video. “Who’d shoot up a garlic festival?”
California Governor Gavin Newsom stated his office was monitoring the situation intently. “This is nothing but short of horrific,” Newsom wrote on Twitter.